Ministering Angels

"They neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven, which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those what are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory."

Thursday, February 02, 2006

The Unthinkable

By Sarita

I did it. And I realize it is an inexcusable act. But I'm going to give you excuses all the same.


Yesterday, I actually went online, and designed a wedding ring. Why? Not sure, except for these 2 very valid reasons: 1) I suddenly have a plethora of friends who are either engaged or almost engaged and so rings have become a popular topic of conversation and 2) because while talking about said rings with almost engaged friend, I described what I thought would be the ideal ring and she responded by leaning forward, bracing herself with both hands on the Cafe Rio table standing between us saying "Really? That sounds HID-E-OUS." Gotta love those brutally honest friends. So I really had no choice but to see what a pear shaped diamond (that I saw on a friends solitaire engagement ring that had been passed down from grandparents and loved) on a plain yellow gold band (because I have made that oh-so-difficult transition from silver to gold (which I swore I would never do no longer wear silver). I am a true product of the eighties. Out of curiosity, I have mentioned the idea to a couple friends,sisters, and they agreed that it would be hideous. I had to check it out, because it seemed so pretty in my minds eye. Turns out, they were all 100% correct. But the round cut and plain gold band, CLASS-EY. I promise.


Why the need to divulge this information? I suppose because I felt guilty. Like one of those marriage obsessed girls that have this picture perfect idea in their head and will settle for nothing less. Truth is, I'm in no hurry to marry the wrong person and can definitely wait. And when it comes down to it, I'll like, or learn to live with, whatever ring I may or may not get.


One would hope that the proposer would have the sense to at least get an idea of what I like and completely detest beforehand, but beggars can't be choosers.

4comments

4 Comments

at 2/03/2006 3:15 AM Blogger Johnna said...

Yes, but think of MY guilt. I was designing diamond rings for days on that site, the year I found it, my fifteenth anniversary.

I really dislike my engagement ring anymore...a small damaged ruby, apparently a pear that was cut into a Marquise. Huge inclusion and crack down the middle. Salvaged from a cocktail ring, badly set, and such a bad stone resetting is pointless. And, I loaned my cute but broke fiance the $325 to buy the ring, and he never paid me back. Ruby was a nice idea, but I wish it were a nice one. Now I want a diamond. Unlikely to happen.

It's in terrible taste that I don't love my engagement ring, but I ran out of ring love after ten years. I want something that's not a piece of crap. Nor the produce of a difficult negotiation between the dear husband and me. I wore my thin wedding band out, so husband had Macchiarini design me this fabulous Mobius strip wedding band that I wear everyday and love. The ruby stays in a drawer now.

It is so wrong that I play design wedding rings. Yesterday, on my way to the airport to pick him up, I was fantasizing about those Tiffany heart-shaped diamond rings I saw four years ago. So trashy and over-sentimental! And with a ridiculous brand-name price increase.

That or a huge emerald cut.

 
at 2/03/2006 9:13 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my co-workers (non-LDS) just got engaged. Excited? She put it in the company's weekly newsletter, the one that goes to 700-plus people. Anyway, she has the rock to end all rocks -- round, diamond-cut, on a plain gold band, and very nearly big enough to play marbles with. Her fiance picked it out all on his own, having earlier sneaked a ring out of her jewelry box to get her size. She says men will spend more on engagement rings, thereby getting nicer ones, if they go shopping alone, because otherwise the girl always says, "Oh, I don't need anything that big (expensive)," and he says, "Oh. Okay." So I guess the moral is, let him buy the ring.

Kind of takes the fun out of designing your own, though....

 
at 2/03/2006 11:52 PM Blogger Dirk said...

Yep, thats what happened with Melinda. She wanted to go ring shopping with me. I was ready to spend the traditional 2 to 3 months salary. Instead she found a absolutely beautiful set with a matching band for me for less than a quarter of what I had been planning to pay.

So I spent it on our Honeymoon instead. Overall I think she was totally pleased with how it turned out.

Okay so, two months full salary would have been a monster gaudy ring but I still expected to pay way more than I did.

 
at 2/06/2006 9:26 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dirk, you got a good one.

And vice versa, it sounds like.

 

Post a Comment