Ministering Angels

"They neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven, which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those what are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory."

Thursday, February 09, 2006

A humbling experience.....

By Sarita

So while most days I like to think that I am SuperWoman and in such can conquer the world and don't need no stinkin man to validate my existence, on other's I am proven wrong, well partially anyway.


When one lives as a single woman and grows accustomed to doing things for oneself, one gets to feeling pretty darn independent. Until one realizes that there are some things that one simply cannot do for oneself without significant bodily harm.


Recently, I purchased new furniture, leaving my precious DI couch with no where to go and frankly in the way while cramping the style of my apartment. The couch was planned to be donated to refugee families that needed it, but there remained one obstacle to overcome. A vehicle capable of hauling such an item, I have not. My brother in law sold his truck, and where does that leave me? To top it off, I live at high altitudes that require a precarious, steep, staircase to access the apartment. On several occasions, roommate and I stated that "Heh, we can do this, no problem, and yet it was never done because in the back of our minds, we knew we needed help but are way to proud to admit it.


In true LDS story fashion, something entirely unexpected happened. A mission friend called up for some obscure reason and before hanging up asked, "hey, is there anything you guys need?" So we sheepishly joked, "Not unless you know someone with a truck..."
He said he might, and of course, we never followed up, and the couch sat where it was. This morning, dear boy and friend showed up with a truck and (with what looked like) such ease, made their way through the obstacle course with couch. I stood idly by, helpless.


I know this sounds like a pertty minor thing, but I really am accustomed to doing most everything for myself, and don't like it when I can't.


I felt like such a girl. Not a bad thing. But makes you feel a little vulnerable, which explains why single women get into super independent woman mode.


I was humbled. I still hate asking for help and stuff though. You can't take that away from me.

6comments

6 Comments

at 2/09/2006 6:31 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you found yerself a Man!

(BIG GRIN)
Running and hiding now.


Seriously, I understand how you feel. I, who am always willing and ready to help someone, hate to ask for help.

 
at 2/09/2006 7:34 PM Blogger Sarita said...

:) Not a man for me. But I guess it's a step in the right direction.

Seriously, I have been told on more than one occasion that you have to make guys feel useful. Feed their ego, that's what my father says. (I think some people think that I don't give em the time of day).

But then you go back to REAL life where you do everything for yourself and are reminded of how utterly alone you really are.

Man, that sounds depressing.

 
at 2/10/2006 8:59 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's interesting that you say "I felt like such a girl." I've said the same thing, and I'm realizing in that context and connotation, it sounds like a bad thing, equated with helplessness. Whereas we really just mean we have shorter arms and we're lacking in upper body strength -- and no matter how many times you work out, some of that is just beyond your control! Not really sure what I'm trying to say here, except don't feel bad because you have a woman's body. It's not a bad thing! And it doesn't mean you're helpless.

 
at 2/10/2006 9:02 AM Blogger Dirk said...

p.s. that anonymous comment above was mine. Somehow it attribute properly even though I was logged in, and didn't select anonymous.

 
at 2/10/2006 11:21 AM Blogger Sarita said...

I know, why do I feel like it's a bad thing to be girly sometimes? And truth be told, I am pretty girly. It's about time I embraced that.

 
at 2/10/2006 11:53 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been learning the same lesson about embracing girliness--for the past couple years I've become much more comfortable with letting guys help me with stuff I can't do by myself. I've had good guy friends who have let me know how much they really appreciate being able to help and feel needed. So now I even let them do things for me I can actually do by myself. And it's funny, because the more I embrace being a girl, forsaking my desire to be all-powerful and independent, the more the guys around me become men. Everyone wins and I kind of like it now!

PS-did you get my email?

 

Post a Comment