Ministering Angels

"They neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven, which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those what are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory."

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

"How well do you and roller skates get along?" and other amusing pick up lines

By Sarita

Yes, I actually got that one. Two points for creativity at the very least. Got to admire a guy (or gal, but not so much in my case, I prefer the guys) who can ask you out or try to create a relationship out of nothing with a little imagination. At least if you crash and burn it makes for a great story. Other's I have received in the past:

"Your parents must have been terrorists because you are the bomb!" (Preceding an invitation to the most frequented strip club in Vegas. I had to decline on that one despite the invitation inducing silent giggles for several days.)


Or there was the cop. A friend of a friend. Friend called Cop regarding a question I had on a traffic citation that I forgot to take care of (long story) and would soon turn into a warrant for my arrest. (I have a dangerous side. Really.) Cop responded by asking friend if I was cute. Friend responded "Very" (kind friend) and Cop said "Well tell her that if she doesn't go out with me......I'll arrest her." Heh.


I really think these are great, but in my experience, the good ones always seem to come from the creepiest of creeps. For example, another friend actually dated Cop for sometime, and he ended up being the biggest of all losers. Not to mention a jerk. And a serious drunkard. So I have become somewhat wary of some invitations. If not all. Let's face it. Who asks me out anymore? If it actually happens, something fishy must be afoot.

That's sad. Don't let that be a deterrent to any of you creative brave souls out there. My sister's marriage is a product of such pick up lines. Her husband upon meeting her for the first time, "I'm going for broke, I'm madly in love with you." Quoting one of the best movies of all time.


At any rate, here comes the call for any and all pickup lines and invitations possibly romantic in nature that are somewhat interesting. (Note: "Do you want to hang out?" Does not count).


AND.....Let's get some feedback on these. Did any of them possibly end well if and when accepted, or are they doomed to be amusing but forever scary sentencing one to duck into the nearest alley if ever the asker were to cross paths with you again?

18comments

18 Comments

at 8/17/2005 10:16 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Overheard in Central Park: You're so hot, you were hot even before the sun came up.

 
at 8/17/2005 2:10 PM Blogger Sarita said...

So did you overhear these.....or are they personal originals? Cuz I could totally see that.

 
at 8/22/2005 5:43 PM Blogger Mikie said...

I'm going for broke... I am madly in love with you Ghostbusters... classic! How bout this one-- know the movie?

"I feel like I should take you out to dinner or something just to make up for being so scary or whatever."

 
at 8/22/2005 5:55 PM Blogger Sarita said...

Ooooo...got me on that one. What's it from?

 
at 8/22/2005 6:29 PM Blogger Mikie said...

Maybe not as classic of movie as Ghostbusters, but hilarious in my book nonetheless. Ever see "Mystery Men"? Mr. Furious is great.

 
at 8/23/2005 6:55 PM Blogger Mikie said...

"So, are those your skis? ... Both of them?"

 
at 8/23/2005 6:58 PM Blogger Sarita said...

Further proof that I am a huge nerd...."coming out of the woodwork" as in bugs and creepy crawly's coming out of the woodwork...but don't quote me on that one, don't know how valid my source is.

And I know! I was hoping for a plethera of pick up lines here. Thanks for coming through anyhow.

And anything quazi-shakesperean would get me. I suppose it's sort of the father complex, Dad has quoted shakespeare to me since infancy. I want to go the shakespeare festival. Um, I'm done.

I wish i had more to share besides "I lost my number, can I have yours?" Otherwise, I've been asked if I was a "sweed" a few times, not sure of the intentions there.

 
at 8/24/2005 12:48 AM Blogger Dirk said...

Okay, okay. Even though it was ruined in the Singles Ward, I still like. "So, Whats your Tribe?" Though it has to be wispered in the celestial room at the end of an endowment session with your singles ward. Any other time or place is just tacky. (Not that the suggested time isn't tacky but it was very funny. Though we both managed to maintain a reverent outward appearance and demeanor.)

 
at 8/24/2005 11:39 AM Blogger Sarita said...

Dirk- no offense, but keep the celestial room out of it. Sorry, bad experiences. Why is it some think it okay to hang out there and pick up on girls half their age. Oh wait, make that nearly three times their age.

 
at 8/24/2005 12:13 PM Blogger Dirk said...

Sarita, let me clarify, It only works as a joke between friends, not as a real pick-up line. Add the benefit of the constant turnover in singles wards and I was able to make that joke a couple times. Until Singles ward came out and ruined it. It just didn't work after that. However on the other hand, I don't need pick-up lines any more.

For me the most effective one was "Why don't I find more ladies like you, Janey?" (That's Melinda's alias on Nauvoo.com) Follwed by my comments here once I decided I really liked her.

 
at 8/24/2005 12:41 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

smooth

 
at 8/24/2005 1:58 PM Blogger Mikie said...

Why is it some think it okay to hang out there and pick up on girls half their age. Oh wait, make that nearly three times their age.

Three times?! Ok you got me... I'll stop trying to pick up on those elderly temple matrons.

 
at 8/24/2005 2:28 PM Blogger Sarita said...

Just as long as their single:). I meant three times less their age, or their junior, blast it all. I give up. But good rule of thumb, if you are 65, don't be asking any 25 year olds out in the celestial room. Despite common belief, that's not what they are there for. And if you're going to do it anyway, don't tell that the number you offer is for your mom's house. Not a big turn on. *shudder*

 
at 8/24/2005 3:50 PM Blogger Mikie said...

I must be hanging out at a different temple.

But really, if you're 65 and single and LDS, where else is there to go? Fair enough though.

For myself I like to place artificial age limits, like I wouldn't care to date someone more than 5 years older or 5 years younger. Does that range just expand with age? So that by the time you're 65 what are your rules? Aren't you pretty open to anything by then? Hehe... too bad on the other end those youngins aren't as open to the idea as you are. Those poor old singles.

 
at 8/24/2005 7:06 PM Blogger Sarita said...

So that by the time you're 65 what are your rules? Aren't you pretty open to anything by then?

True, true. Must explain it. Only a geriatric desperate for a date would be desperate enough to solicite a date with yours truly. :)

I wouldnt be so harsh if the person in this highly hypothetical situation hadnt been married several times and highly inapproriate.

 
at 8/24/2005 8:02 PM Blogger Mikie said...

I wouldnt be so harsh if the person in this highly hypothetical situation hadnt been married several times and highly inapproriate.

Haha, nice. Be as harsh as you like-- it's more fun than always being nice. I totally agree that it's inappropriate to hit on (even jokingly) people in such a place.

 
at 8/26/2005 10:54 AM Blogger Sarita said...

I agree. I actually didnt realize the gravity of it until I light heartedly related the experience to my grandfather who has twice served in temple presidencies. This is the man I have never seen upset about anything. The man that while serving in the temple was shushed several times following my sister's sealing. Much laid back is he. And he was furious. In part, I'm sure, because I am his favorite grandaughter. But he did go as far as to say that noone doing such things belongs in the temple. Ouch.

 
at 12/05/2005 2:18 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to give you an idea for new posts.

The Dec 12 TIME magazines has an article on LDS singles.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1137681-2,00.html

 

Post a Comment