Ministering Angels

"They neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven, which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those what are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory."

Monday, July 25, 2005

Single? Don't tell your coworkers!

By Sarita

Fox news has an article today about a single 31-year-old in Utah whose co-workers decided it was time he got married--so they put up a billboard soliciting dates. The billboard, pictures of the victim, and his secretly-videotaped reaction can all be seen at www.datelance.com.

Poor Lance ("Utah's most eligible bachelor") is clearly Mormon. He's a returned missionary, "a menace to society," and when he sees the billboard for the first time, his reaction is a Napoleon Dynamitish "Oh my gosh!"

I think my reaction would have been a little stronger. Like a punch in the nose to my interfering coworkers.

Could this happen anywhere but in Utah?

What would you do to your friends if they pulled something like this?

And how did they get Lance to pose for all those dorky pictures?

6comments

6 Comments

at 7/25/2005 11:26 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to think that my friends would know better!

I suppose the grown-up and mature thing to do would be to laugh it off, but you know, I think I might act really hurt -- maybe squeeze out a tear or two (because I'm a girl and girls are allowed and even expected to do that sort of thing) -- and make everybody who was in on the plot feel really really bad about it. Because what they did is not helpful, it's humiliating and even hurtful. Some people are more bothered by being unmarried than others, and to make fun of them when they're feeling that way is just not cool.

As for the pictures, well, that's a mystery.

 
at 7/26/2005 11:17 AM Blogger Sarita said...

Hilarious. He seems like a good sport. I havent yet had my own billboard, but I have had coworkers conspire against me. My office manager and the manager of another firm who's single LDS runner always came by our office thought "hey, they're both mormom and single. They must be perfect for each other". Anyway, his office sent me flowers for valentines day and forced him to ask me out. It was a mess. I prefer to make dating experiences akward and complicated all by myself thank you very much.

 
at 7/26/2005 10:51 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, if you read the site, it says where they got the pictures. It was from a photo shoot at work when he first started.

Lance used to be in my BYU ward, and then again in another singles ward I later attended. He's a good sport, and you'll also find (on one of the coworker pages) that he has no shortage of dates or friends, so that's what makes it so funny to all of them. From what they say on the webpage, he took it all in stride, which, knowing him slightly (just as a ward acquaintance), I believe.

 
at 7/28/2005 8:17 PM Blogger N.F. said...

I wish I had cool friends who would make a billboard for me! :)

 
at 8/01/2005 4:21 AM Blogger Jason King said...

It's just a marketing ploy for the company, Logoworks.

No one can be that naive, and no one would go along with it. That's a lot of dough for the billboard and the website, which looks great.

They're just pulling one over on Jonny public, and they're laughing all the way to 'good morning america'

 
at 8/02/2005 12:52 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOLOLOL!
Check out the new website
datemelance.com

 

Post a Comment