Ministering Angels

"They neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven, which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those what are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory."

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

You're So Vain: You probably think this blog is about you

By Sarita

Don't you? Come on now. Don't deny it. We all have a little vanity in there somewhere. Some of us spend a fourth of the day looking in the mirror, other's relish in knowing more than others and writing oh-so-profound comments on several blogs addressing countless issues everyday. You know who you are. And I enjoy your comments. As for myself, is it really that bad that I enjoy seeing my name at the top of this post? A sense of pride wells up inside, and while it's not quite my name in lights and the post, let's face it, is really not all that good, I get my jollies seeing how many comments I can get in response. *Hint hint* Feed my ego Seymour.

Point being, we are all vain, self-centered, self-involved, and altogether selfish at some time and being single only exaggerates the matter. It's the natural man pulling us down baby. Damn the man. I recall returning from the mission and falling into a depression because I wasn't helping others on a daily basis. It was all about me. I received calls and visits because I was home from the mission. I spoke in church and people came to see who? Me. I then proceeded to decide what I was going to do with my life. Working to make money for me. I under no means am trying to paint myself as a saint. Cuz I'm not. Am I the only one who has dealt with this dilemma?

I didn't want to work, study, anything, because I felt I was being selfish. I eventually mellowed and realized that some self interest was required to obtain the salvation that I taught while in Canada. But I still feel like it's the Sarah Show everyday all day with temporary interruptions in programming while I visit teach or babysitt my nieces. I do not have a husband or children to demand my focus and service on a daily basis. I work all day, and then go home and workout to improve my health if I have the energy. I cook for myself, run errands for myself and spend money on myself.

The only semi-consistent break I get from myself is taking care of my cat. Like coaxing her down from the roof this morning after she got out and went exploring. Throw all the old maid comments you want my way, but I understand how single old women end up with their thirteen cats and the neighbor kids telling spooky stories about how she killed her husband and buried him under the floor boards. My lil Gidget is someone to take care of, discipline, love and gives some love and affection back. I adore the fact that she follows me around, either attacking my legs or taking a catnap on my feet while I brush my teeth. She is excited when I get home and purrs and rubs up against me incessantly. Now if I could only get a man to do that. See I what I'm telling you? It's all about my needs.

I think it's dangerous in the fact that we become so accustomed to taking care of ourselves, that when a potential mate comes along, we sometimes have trouble shifting the attention to them. I for one think it would be refreshing taking care of someone else for a change. Sure it may get old in 10 years. But I'm talking about my needs. Now. Me, me, me, me, me.

And whoever can tell me how many times "I" and "me" are in there gets the bonus prize.

9comments

9 Comments

at 6/28/2005 1:19 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being singe can make being selfish easier, and make it a bigger pitfall. But we also tend to have (I can't speak for everyone) more free time to notice the people and the world around us and to do something when we see a need. We don't need a special reason, just that we see a need that we can fill. All we have to do is open our eyes, there is so much that can be and needs to be done for other people. Your fellow ward members, family, friends, the outside world, etc. Take a minute to see who seems lonely, who could benefit from a chat over dinner, where your talents and interests could be used in volunteer opportunities out in the community. In general, our only obligations are what we put on ourselves (as opposed to husband and kids that would need us), so we are in some ways more free to pay less attention to ourselves and do things for other people, while still taking care of ourselves.

catherine

 
at 6/28/2005 1:24 PM Blogger Sarita said...

Good point. It really is true. Their are a bunch of things in the community I have been itching to be a part of, and probably wouldnt if I were tied down otherwise.

 
at 6/28/2005 1:37 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome! Go for it! I also know of some on-line resources for finding volunteer opportunities, if you are interested.

catherine

 
at 6/28/2005 4:40 PM Blogger Kim Siever said...

37 'I' and '12' me if you count the last sentence.

 
at 6/28/2005 4:53 PM Blogger Sarita said...

Dang, now I have to come up with a bonus prize. Not that I know if you're right or not, because I am just to lazy to check. The honor system rules.

 
at 6/28/2005 7:17 PM Blogger Sarita said...

Oh, so have seen the Saturday Night Live skit-commercial for Me-Harmony.com? Pairing up couples who are too good for everyone else with an exact copy of themselves, only of the opposite sex. Ya so, it showed clips of the cast holding hands with themselves dressed in drag and so on. Maybe that's what you need.

 
at 6/28/2005 8:12 PM Blogger Sarita said...

Great post, and great comments. I totally agree that it's way too easy to become absorbed myself. Suggestion: for singles who are endowed and live close to a temple, I've found that being a temple worker is a great way to force myself to emerge from my Laura-bubble, even if only once a week. I also like the interaction with older women working in the temple provides--and I have to admit I kind of like that it's something that married women with children can't do. It's a little space in the church carved out for singles.

 
at 6/28/2005 8:26 PM Blogger Jason King said...

I think that 'me time' is very healthy, espcially in the church. Don't get me wrong, I love it when people bake me cookies and what not, but if I have to do, well then, I'm just too 'busy'. You see how that works? You get a little, you get a little.

Seriously, I think 'me-ness' is an essential characteristic of our animal side; the side that wants to survive. So, until we're all angels, I don't think that's going to change anytime soon.

Great post.

 
at 7/01/2005 11:22 AM Blogger The AdventureWalkers said...

What a brilliant daughter I have...oops...YOU are.:)

 

Post a Comment