Ministering Angels

"They neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven, which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those what are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory."

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

You're not gonna believe this

By Melinda

Because I'm still slightly in shock myself. I've gone and gotten myself engaged (with the cooperation of a tall, dark and handsome man). I'm 33 years old and haven't had a boyfriend in 17 years (yeah, so my last sweetie was when I was 16). I've dated, but haven't had any emotional commitments. Then I run into this amazing man who not only wants to be my friend, sweetie, and fiance, he wants to be my husband. He fits me like a puzzle piece, and the whole world is brighter when he's around. That's all the gushing I'm going to do, honest.

Weird. Not him, just the situation. Okay, yeah, he's a bit weird too. For example, he isn't telling his mom about our engagement for nearly a week because he thinks it will be funny to see her try to kill him for holding out like that. I was on the phone to my mom within 45 minutes of the proposal.

We met online. How appropriate for a blogger. I was keeping the Mormon forum at nauvoo.com updated on my computer dating adventures when Dirk (my fiance) signed up at my same computer dating site and announced that he would love to meet someone as forward as I am. Well, I wasn't going to ignore a pickup line like that! So I bugged him until he asked me out. He was quite shy, and from his behavior on our first couple of dates, I would not have guessed he was interested in me. But he kept making comments on this blog about how awesome he thought I was. As I stated, I don't ignore lines like that. So we discovered that we mutually liked each other. The rest, as they say, is history.

You know what the strangest part is? I love him. I want him around. I want to plan a future with him. I'm willing to work out any issues or problems that come up. I don't want to be alone again. It's so strange to spend 33 years becoming independent, only to see it evaporate in a few months. Maybe I was never as independent as I thought I was.

Which brings us to the business part of this post. Ministering Angels could use another permablogger to replace me. I still have lots of thoughts about being single - that much life experience doesn't evaporate - but I've always been annoyed by married folk trying to talk to me about what it's like to be single so I won't inflict my opinions on you, although I'll definitely be around as a commenter. Send an email to ministeringangels at gmail dot com if you're interested.

18comments

18 Comments

at 8/18/2005 2:27 AM Blogger Dirk said...

Strange thing is, I've also been single for many many years (I'm about six months older than Melinda), somehow managed to get myself into what I thought was a serious relationship about 9 years ago, and hadn't really had any other luck.

Yes I am shy, and that is what made Melinda stand out soooooooo much. I could talk to her. I have always had so much difficulty talking with those I was interested in (in fact the higher the level of infatuation the more impossible it would be come to talk to them, a hello in passing would be a sucessful conversation). Yet with my Melinda, the more we went out the more I was able to open up.

Yes I am Mischevious (not wierd) and I do think it will be fun to spring my Fiance on my family. They are, or at least should be used to me and my sense of humor by now.

I too will keep tabs on this blog and share my comments.

p.s. Ask her about her ring.

 
at 8/18/2005 2:28 AM Blogger Dirk said...

Oops,

Correction Big OOOPS

I forgot to mention that I love her.

 
at 8/18/2005 11:40 AM Blogger Sarita said...

Congrats to you both! I knew this was coming. I've got a knack for that. As soon as I started reading comments alluding to possible romantic connections. I think I might have ESPN or something. :)

So happy for you. Don't be strangers.

 
at 8/18/2005 11:44 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

So tell us about the ring.

 
at 8/18/2005 12:26 PM Blogger Zatarra said...

Congrats you two! Just two horny kids trying to make it legal.

Yeah, my envy is really shining through.

Does the ring matter that much?

 
at 8/18/2005 1:20 PM Blogger Andrea said...

Congratulations! Melinda, I don't know you (except for by your posts--though apparently that was enough for Dirk--heehee) but reading your post just made me smile for about ten minutes straight (and counting). It's cheering to see real people find each other and be happy. All the best!

 
at 8/18/2005 1:52 PM Blogger Jason King said...

Congrats, Melinda. That's some great news. You guys should have your marriage webcasted.

When is the date?

 
at 8/18/2005 2:51 PM Anonymous Ben S. said...

Hey, congrats! You used to go by Janey at Nauvoo, right?

 
at 8/18/2005 7:21 PM Blogger chronicler said...

Oh Melinda! Your post about Matthew made me cry. I talked about you for days with loved ones. I couldn't believe someone as super as you could go unnoticed for so long. Now we all know Dirk just wasn't paying attention very well! He has finally awakened to your splendor! May you live happily ever after! :-)

 
at 8/19/2005 2:37 AM Blogger Dirk said...

Thanks all, except for Zatarra. That comment was uncalled for. If we just wanted to make it legal, a quick trip to Vegas or the city/county building would settle that.

Yes we do have those urges and we recognize and want to satisfy them. However, we will be married in the Temple worthily. Thats more than just wanting to "Make it legal"

And that is a big part of what makes this relationship and the speed at which it developed amazing to both Melinda and myself. The fact that two months ago we were two very independant 33 year old Latter-day Singles who were beginning to consider and accept the fact that we may just end up remaining that way. The suddenly one date became two, then three and so on until we both hate it when my work schedule keeps us apart for more than a day.

What happened to our independance? We don't need each other to survive in life, but we do need to be together to feel a level of fulfillment that I know I haven't felt before. And Melinda has repeatedly stated that she feels the same.

Yes I realize we are most definitely in the sickningly gooey ultra sweet lovey dovey phase (and I don't mind it one bit), but that does not deserve such a base insult.

On another note, Chronicler, I was most definately paying attention when Melinda shared Matthew with us. I had already developed an inkling of what I had found and was actually somewhat worried about the challenge of trying to live-up to comparison to an invisible competitor. Then Melinda explained that Matthew was truly gone, she has futher expressed to me that Matthew is no comparison to me. But yes I was most definately paying attention.

She's starting to learn that I'm always listening and will try my best to meet her every desire. She mentioned once in passing that not only was a ring required with the proposal, but also roses. So she got the ring tied to a white rose placed in the middle of a dozen red roses.

Oh and her ring is really sparkly, we both like to look at it.

 
at 8/19/2005 4:15 AM Blogger Jason King said...

Thanks all, except for Zatarra. That comment was uncalled for.

I agree with Dirk; Zatarra should be ashamed of himself. But, I happen to know Zatarra, and I think he meant it with the best of intentions. Some people just aren't that eloquent.

Congrats on the whole shabang. Marriage is bliss; at least that's what I read in the brochure.

 
at 8/19/2005 11:49 AM Blogger Zatarra said...

Dearest Dirk, can I call you Dirk?

Whoa be it unto me to rain upon thy parade. It twas not meant to denuncify the happy occasion surrounding your union, with a women of such stoic wit known as Melinda.

Truth be told I envy your situation. It is as if you have finally made it out of the desert for many years and are at last taking a taste of sweet rose water in the shade of a palm tree, while the rest of us ungrateful's wander wunderlust full of contempt and strife.

So go, go thy merry way and make merry music upon the hills!

screw you Jason S. who says I'm not eloquent?

 
at 8/19/2005 12:27 PM Blogger Sarita said...

Awesome. Much better than my song request of Baby Got Back at a friends reception last week. I'm not sure how his mother took to it, but it's his song, don't look at me. Plus, it made for some good dancing. :)

But I would never do that at your wedding Melinda. Never. ;)

 
at 8/19/2005 1:02 PM Blogger Dirk said...

Apology accepted Zatarra, it was most eloquent.

And Sarita, sorry the music will most likely be played off a playlist I'll select from my collection(I've DJ'd several wedding receptions), and will be DJ'd most likely by my brother or brother-in-law (since I'll be otherwise occupied) that song will NOT be available.

 
at 8/19/2005 1:10 PM Blogger Sarita said...

Probably a good thing.

 
at 8/20/2005 2:16 AM Blogger fMhLisa said...

Whoo Hoo! Good Job. And Good Luck.

 
at 8/28/2005 7:54 PM Anonymous JKS said...

Congrats!

 
at 8/31/2005 1:15 AM Blogger nita said...

Congratulations again! Ever since you linked your blog to Nauvoo, I have enjoyed reading it. You and your friends do a great job and provide good insights.

 

Post a Comment